Sunday, September 22, 2019

Diversity and Inclusion: Which Way Home discussion

   This week, topics of immigration and diversity flowed through the FYE classroom.  Monday's class began with an activity that brought to light what immigration was and how it affects students personally.  I mentioned how immigration is a large factor in modern politics.  It affects me because the policies politicians decide on will then decide who I vote for.  For many students, job positions will be affected by immigration.  While this can be true, I believe it is not as prominent an issue.  At least, growing up not near the border, I have not witnessed this first-hand.  The second part of class focused on discussion about a documentary called Which Way Home.  I had never heard of it, and, once I saw it, I can never forget it.
   Immigration is not only an issue at the U.S./Mexico border, but it is prominent in Europe and Asian countries as well.  Often, migrants leave their homelands searching for a better, more promising life.  The issue at the U.S./Mexico border, though, affects my life more directly.  Thousands of Mexican migrants cross into the U.S. illegally each year.  Modern politics has taken a stance on immigration and twisted the reality to scare the American public, in my opinion.  After watching Which Way Home, a documentary following migrants as they travel by freight train into the U.S., I feel more of a sympathy for the immigrants.  I take living in the U.S. for granted.  U.S. politicians though, seem to describe immigration with a negative connotation.  They make it seem like drugs and crime follow each migrant.  From what I saw in the film, though, these migrants, many younger than 15, often travel alone for weeks just to be able to grow up, live, or acquire jobs in the U.S.
  
Image result for mexican immigrants
Image credit:https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwin9v6JveXkAhXhm-AKHVCIAzkQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftime.com%2F4546785%2Famerican-mothers-immigrant-families%2F&psig=AOvVaw0QRmavVsJ-TU0JHtpf5VjP&ust=1569277684279587 

   My beliefs are strong that hard work leads to success, and if done correctly, individuals from other countries should have the right to go through a process to follow their dreams.  Don't get me wrong, this film touched me emotionally and I wish I could do something to make the process of immigration easier, but I believe something needs to be done in both governments to 1) make it so people should not feel like they need to flee their countries and 2) allow the flow of people(s) for a good reason into the U.S.  Without immigration, diversity would be low and quite frankly our world would be more closed off I believe.  America was discovered by Europeans who moved in and built a life here.  It is unreasonable to stop the flow of people coming into/out of the country to live and build a new lifestyle.

Image result for immigration to a new life
Image credit: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/under-trump-old-deportation-orders-get-new-life

 I try to see the good in people.  We do not get the choice to be brought into this world, and we cannot choose the lifestyle we are born into.  I have been very fortunate in my life, and seeing this documentary has opened my mind to the realities so many children are exposed to at a young age. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the sentence "I had never heard of it, and, once I saw it, I can never forget it." What a great post Charlotte! I agree with you that the film was one that I will remember forever. I am so glad we watched it in class.

    ReplyDelete